Gone are the days of a handful of firms controlling the digital publishing world. Choosing a solutions provider is no longer done in Starbucks and board rooms. With the advances of technology and the internet, the digital publishing world has been a swift exodus from print. As a result, there are thousands of different epublishing agencies and vendors existing today.
Sure, focusing on content is still the foundation of any digital publication, but other key factors play a role in forming a valuable relationship between a company and its digital publishing vendor. And as a publisher or content producer, you may have your own questions to ask to make sure the vendor you’d select fits your budget, service needs and expectations. However, there are specific questions you shouldn’t miss to ask before signing that contract or make that purchasing decision. Here are 10 from the Publishing Executive Buyer’s Guide, a publisher’s reference on emerging technology in the media industry.
1. Does the digital content display to a typical subscriber’s satisfaction on multiple devices, operating systems, and screen sizes?
2. Is the content viewable in text form — especially on smaller devices?
3. How easy is it to add rich media, such as video or animation?
4. Does the vendor make it easy to use a device’s built-in features, like a camera, or social media venues?
5. Does the vendor make it easy to discover and purchase the digital edition or content?
6. Does the digital content service provide new opportunities and benefits for advertisers or sponsors?
7. Does the vendor provide a path to responsive design publishing on multiple platforms?
8. Does the vendor’s system provide ample measurement of reader activities and responses — to both editorial and advertising content?
9. Does the vendor’s system leverage the publisher’s existing production skills and capital investments?
10. Does the underlying CMS or DAM provide a high level of automation, or otherwise lower the overall labor and capital costs of producing digital content?
Trusted by publishers and content providers worldwide, Realview can offer you all of the digital publishing tips, tricks, and tools needed to successfully catapult your brand into the digital space.